Tuesday, May 8, 2012

She's Reading!

She’s not even 3.5 years old and Bethany is reading. I’m not talking about reading letters or simple, single words. She’s reading SENTENCES in first readers like Dick & Jane books.

I suppose I should not be surprised. Bethany is the third child I’ve taught to read. Like her brothers, she has been read to daily since before she was born and has been saturated with books. Just for fun, she started sight-words before she was 1 and phonics shortly thereafter. Towards the end of last year, I noticed that she was reading more and more of the words when we settled down together for bedtime reading. So I acted on a hunch and pulled out the first reader books. She was off and running. Thirteen readers later, she’s on the last one and ready for more challenges.
I’ve always believed that once a child learns to read, half the battle for learning is won. Reading equips the child to learn and discover on her own. A good book takes us to places and gives us ideas that we would never come up with on our own. She can go places in books that she never dreamed of. When our imagination is stirred and emotions are involved, we can recall so many facets of the story to benefit our own living. It’s one of the most important tools she will have for a lifetime of learning.

And I get to tag along on her adventure! Oh, I still read to Bethany, a lot. But now we share. She reads to me and then I to her. I love watching her face as she studies the pictures. It changes from serious, to laughter, to sad in the twinkling of an eye. Then she settles in to the words and the rest of the story unfolds. It’s going to be a magical journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment