Thursday, February 7, 2013

Forgiveness is Peaceful


It had been one of those days where I’d say “no” and he’d scream “yes,” I’d say “right,” and he’d go left, and my version of stop was a full-throttle go for Nathan.  By the time I got around to changing the sheets on his bed before bedtime, I was beyond compromise.  Nathan keeps more than 20 stuffed critters in his bed.  Everything from an assortment of teddy bears, dogs, and Winnie-the-Pooh characters to a bobcat and a tiger.  Honestly, there is barely enough room in the bed for the boy.  So I evicted every creature but his most coveted three.  The rest were left on the floor for him to find new sleeping places.  His Dad compromised by retrieving two cardboard boxes from the basement big enough to hold all the critters.  He told Nathan they had to have their own beds.  So the boxes were loaded and put I a place of honor, the boys had their bedtime stories and prayers, and everyone was tucked in for the night.  Or so we thought. 

Nathan shares a room with his brother, so I understand that his only personal space is limited to his bed, and yes, I realize that the things that he loves most in the world he’s going to put in the only space he feels he can defend.  Good thing I figured that out before making my final rounds to check on the slumbering children before turning in for the night.   I walked into our bedroom after making the rounds to the sound of my husband chuckling.  He already knew what I’d found because he’d also made his finally check of the night.  Nathan had escaped his bed to empty those two boxes of critters back into his bed.  He had fallen asleep frantically clutching as many of the stuffed animals as his little arms could hold.  His desperation was too precious to be upset with him.  I decided to make one more visit to his room to see if I could help him relax.  It’s bad enough that there isn't much room in his bed thanks to the overcrowding, but I certainly didn't need him restless and afraid he’d lose his animals.  As I leaned over his bed, I whispered in his ear that it was okay and I loved him.  He opened his eyes just enough to see that it was me, and with both his arms he reached up to grab my shoulders and pull me into his bed.  Somehow I had become one of his coveted objects, and it was suddenly more important to hold on to me than his critters.  I lay down beside him and cried for a few minutes while he relaxed and went back to sleep.  Love is forgiving, and forgiveness is peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment