Friday, February 13, 2009

Roll Over

Bethany is our third baby, and I’m still amazed and awed at how much development takes place in such a short period of time. Today, at just past 3 months old, our little girl rolled over. I had put her in the floor of the nursery with one of her favorite toys for some tummy time and walked around the corner into the kitchen to clean up something. I felt an urging to go back and check on Bethany with the thought that I’ve never missed one of my children rolling over for the first time. Thank you God for that angel. Just as I rounded the corner, she rolled from front to back. Just a casual roll that looked like she had always known how to do it. Now I know that seems like such an insignificant development to most, but think about it. Before babies can roll over, they have to be able to hold up their heads, which are HUGE and HEAVY compared to the rest of their bodies. Then babies have to be able to tuck a shoulder, flip their hip, and rotate a leg just to maneuver into position to roll. When one has only been able to hold one’s head up for just a matter of weeks, rolling over is a big step. Not to mention that rolling over is a precursor to bigger and better things like crawling. Oh no, crawling! Oh well, for now I’ll enjoy the time that Bethany can still be found relatively in the same location where I put her down.

Just as amazing to watch is Bethany has started to grab and rake objects with her hands to bring them in for a closer look. Finally, the development that is absolutely awe inspiring…she is signing to us. Most of our friends and family know that the boys know sign language. Alan and I have continued the legacy by signing to Bethany almost since we brought her home. We’ve only really worked on two signs diligently…Mommy and Daddy. A few weeks ago she surprised us by signing both to us, appropriately. She signed “Mommy” when she was playing with me and “Daddy” when Alan walked into the room.

I know I just sound like a proud Mommy crowing about another one of her smart babies. Look with me, if you will, through another set of eyes. The ones that see how beautifully and fearfully God made us. It is only a glimpse of the joy of His Creation through small steps and little feats.

No comments:

Post a Comment