Thursday, August 13, 2009

Free-Wheeling

Today, on a whim and a prayer, I took the training wheels off of Zac’s bicycle. With a deep breath and Mommy whispering “You can do it,” Zac strapped on his helmet, mounted the bicycle that I was steadying, and started peddling with all the determination his preschool legs could muster. Holding the back of the seat, I ran behind him for about six steps until he was pulling away from me. Reluctantly I let go and watched as my little boy took off like a rocket, peddling for all he was worth, and laughing so hard he veered off the sidewalk into the neighbor’s grass for a safe landing. The next thing I knew, he was running into my arms screaming “I did it!” Just to make sure this wasn’t a fluke, I set him up for another go, and go he did; even farther this time. Unbelievable! Just as we were setting up for a third pass, Daddy drove up. Boy was he surprised to see his oldest son racing down the sidewalk on only two wheels. After many hugs and lots of celebration, Dad joined us and coached Zac on his stopping technique. Then Zac was off again, riding the sidewalk of Main Street into downtown and all the way to Daddy’s office building. As I was watching my little boy ride away, I had goose bumps. With one great big turn of the wheel, I had just witnessed my son pass from babyhood into boyhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment