The night of the recital, Zac looked like the all-American boy in his green shirt with rolled-up sleeves and pink tie to match the girls’ dresses. We had talked about and practiced the dance, running with the football, and playing the part of the hero for the girls in his class who were cheering him on. I took him backstage, dressed him, and gave him a good-luck hug and kiss, then I headed off to find the rest of our troupe. As the lights went down and the curtain came up, Nathan sat transfixed by the performances. Bethany danced on her Daddy’s lap, copying the arm and leg movements of the dancers as best she could, and singing her heart out. Then Zac’s class came onstage. Nathan’s eyes sparkled as he pointed and shouted, “There’s Zac,” and Bethany jumped up and down and yelled “Zacky” as loud as her little voice would carry. Alas, it seemed that no amount of pumping Zac up before hand was going to off-set his incredible stage fright. He made it through his first routine with minimal effort, buried in the back row. Then, about a half dozen dances later, the preschoolers were back on stage for Mr. Touchdown. No more hiding in the back row. Zac was to run a pattern through the girls, take his place in the front row, dance his heart out, and then end by running through two lines of cheering girls for his big finish. With a deer-caught in the headlights look, he lumbered through the dance.
Zac showed tremendous courage to get up on that stage and dance for family, friends, and a host of strangers. He also gave Nathan and Bethany a taste of dance and a chance to cheer for their brother. As for me, I experienced a full-circle moment. From the time of my first childhood dance recital to this, I never imagined I’d be the parent in the audience watching and holding my breath as my child performed on stage. Twinkle toes Zac is not right now, but he is our hero, and we are proud of him.





What JOY! Melanie, you see the world through such beautiful lenses. Keep writing. This is good stuff! I love you. Karen
ReplyDeleteTHANKS for sending the update! Wish I knew he was in a recital! I would have tried to be in the audience!!! Rachel used to do all the dances and the recital was the icing on the cake!! Barb
ReplyDeleteLook how handsome he is! I bet that Football dance was just adorable.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the write up, Melanie! Bless you for getting to stay home and be a MOM!
ReplyDeleteChris