One really good thing that has come from his infatuation is that it has nurtured Nathan’
s natural desire to be helpful, or in Thomas’ terms, to be a really useful engine. He is our little helper; carrying in stuff from the Suburban, unloading the dishwasher, loading the washing machine, and playing with his baby sister. Sometimes it’s a little more help than Mommy wants at the time, but, in general, it has been a useful tool to keep him occupied and out of trouble. As much as he loves Thomas and Friends, I expect if his interest in Thomas ever fades, he’ll still continue his love affair with trains.
I know he’s growing up when I can’t get footed pajamas in his size in the Thomas theme. He’s at that intermediate age where he’s still very much a little boy cuddled with his stuffed dogs and bears in bed and dragging his rubby around the house when he’s tired or sick, and yet on the brink of being a big boy, riding his bike, playing baseball and football with his brother, reading lots of books on his own, and learning handwriting and math. I admire the change in him. I watch him from a distance and see that the baby look in his face is fading. His body movements are smoother and more self-assured, and his questions are becoming more thoughtful. And yet I still want to hold onto the little boy. The one who cuddles in my lap and would rather have me read to him more than anything in the world. He’ll always be my baby, but this year he’s 5! Happy birthday, Nathan.
I know he’s growing up when I can’t get footed pajamas in his size in the Thomas theme. He’s at that intermediate age where he’s still very much a little boy cuddled with his stuffed dogs and bears in bed and dragging his rubby around the house when he’s tired or sick, and yet on the brink of being a big boy, riding his bike, playing baseball and football with his brother, reading lots of books on his own, and learning handwriting and math. I admire the change in him. I watch him from a distance and see that the baby look in his face is fading. His body movements are smoother and more self-assured, and his questions are becoming more thoughtful. And yet I still want to hold onto the little boy. The one who cuddles in my lap and would rather have me read to him more than anything in the world. He’ll always be my baby, but this year he’s 5! Happy birthday, Nathan.





No comments:
Post a Comment